Banner

Banner

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

All or nothing?

Weekly meal plan and shopping list - check.  Garden plan with scheduled reminders - check.  Budget, school calendar, workout sessions, holiday checklist, softball roster, daily routine, spring cleaning plan, repair list, email, texts, calls, blogs...STOP!  Time to schedule in some downtime.  I'm inspired and motivated on this mission to get down and dirty with what goes on my plate, but all this healthy living chasing is exhausting!  I realize the start up phase is the hardest and eventually I'll hit my stride, but this was supposed to be the easy season - or so I thought.  I'm connecting with so many new people on this blogging journey who have so many new ideas, stories to tell, tips to share that at times my head is spinning like a helicopter pod slowly spiraling down down down to earth.  Down to earth - hmm, well that's where I'm trying to go so I do.  I go out on this spectacular, warm spring day and sit on the earth.  I can't remember the last time I sat on the grass - directly on the grass - without a blanket or a tarp or some other thin barrier between me and the earth.  And then it hits me.  This quest I am on does not have to be all or nothing - I can go back to the beginning and start with one thing.  Local.  I never really defined what local meant - does it mean food sourced from my backyard, my town, my neighborhood, my state - the northeast?  I decide that my beloved Garden State and it's incredible fruits of summer must be within the boundaries of local.  I set my "local" bar at 200 miles so when Trader Joes is selling big fat juicy blueberries from Hammonton, NJ this summer I can gleefully fill up without a trip to Nan's house.  Local and organic tend to go hand in hand these days - but save for the dirty dozen if I have to sacrifice one of the two - I'll be going local.

No comments:

Post a Comment