Banner

Banner

Monday, March 26, 2012

Unexpected Inspiration


As the tow truck slowly backs up the driveway to cart away my husband’s persnickety BMW that almost left us stranded at LaGuardia Airport last night,  I realize I’ve succeeded in eating only one meal this week that was whole, fresh, organic, in season and local.  Every other meal sacrificed at least one of the above categories – even an amazing meal at the innovative new Seasons 52 on the rise in cities around the country could not deliver a meal that was inclusive of all of my requirements.  I gaze longingly at the peas and lettuce now starting to thrive in Aldo’s garden spurred on by this very early New England Spring.  Heavy set and hairy, clad in dirty jeans and a skullcap, Adam, the tow truck driver asks if that garden is mine.  “No”, I reply sullenly.   His response takes me by surprise.  “I hope to have one that size this year.”  Talk about a head turner.  Apparently,  the guy who has come to save my dead battery is now my garden hero.  He tells me of his test gardens last year of three 8x14 raised beds.  He tells me where to buy bulk vermiculite online – but watch out for the shipping.  He tells me how to keep the slugs from getting my purple cabbages this summer (cover the rim of your raised beds with copper or sandpaper).  Adam apparently tends the Garden of Eden.  He knows it all and robustly regales me with his life story of culinary school in Manhattan, starting seeds in his garage, picking bugs off the plants instead of spraying pesticide.  The wind has turned to the colder side today but the sun is out and Adam has inspired me to get out back and get my own garden going.  I won’t be starting seeds this year, and I won’t have any early peas or lettuce like Aldo– but I can get my hands in the dirt and get started.  Already I’m behind the ball, but today I’ve got nothing but time and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment