Banner

Banner

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Terminal Fishing

Third day in and I am already up against the "what to do when traveling" monster.   Pack a healthy snack/ lunch for the plane or take my chances en route?  I decide I've got nothing whole, fresh,  healthy and local to pack as we gobbled up all of the fresh greens from Sport Hill Farm at last night's dinner.  I can't even pack a sustainable water bottle from the filtered tap water because security will surely confiscate it at check-in thereby stripping me of my $20 BPA free Kleen Kanteen.   So at the terminal I buy the obligatory plastic bottle of SmartWater- yeah right.  Hmmmm- vapor distilled and purified.  Bottled in Whitestone NY?  Okay- well the water seems to be local - that's a start.  Strategically placed nearby I spy a small container with two freshly hard boiled eggs inside and above that a box of what looks to be some bright, colorful micro greens.  Wow, this airplane food is beginning to look a lot like last night's dinner save for the local fish.  I've had to sacrifice organic but I think I've done exceedingly well for Terminal B at La Guardia International. Settling in to my hamster cage that is seat 25A, I open the inflight magazine to page 45 and find my fish.  Seems there is a movement happening right in my  own backyard (Boston, Mass) to source local seafood for restaurants and markets directly from the boat - each individual fish complete with its own business card and QR code.  A quick scan of the code brings up Trace and Trust, an organization devoted to the traceability of seafood - a detailed account of when, where and how your fish was caught and transported, how much it weighs and who it was partying with last night (wink wink). I wonder if Trace and Trust has an application for tracking teenagers?;))

No comments:

Post a Comment