Banner

Banner

Friday, March 30, 2012

Robin's Blue Eggs

The chives I planted last year in a small pot on the deck are a good six inches high already and I'm remembering advice from my sister-in-law to wait til they've flowered and then chop them off to about an inch high.  The first year I tried to just clip what I needed when but now know they need to be harvested in full so they can regrow that same season.  Every plant, vegetable and flower comes with it's own set of rules which used to overwhelm me.  One thing gets snipped (parsely), the other left on the vine til the leaves have shriveled (pumpkins) and yet another picked immediately before the birds can get them (strawberries).  I'm picking up tips and tricks from numerous sources, considering a compost pile and yearning for a chicken coop (zoning?).  I wonder what my husband would say if I told him I wanted chickens.  "No rooster," would probably be his response.  He's gotten used to my cockamamie ideas over the years - allowing me the freedom to play while supressing a small amused smile.  He's tried everything I've put on a plate for him - maybe not finishing the meal but giving it a good college try.  I take credit for his recent clean bill of health from the doctor due to organic and as close to raw food as is appealing to me.  Throwing local and in season into the mix has strained the mealtime mood recently because there's not much on the plate right now.  Today I hunt for locally sourced meat - beef, fowl, fish, pork.  The last few farmstand visits, however, have taught me to let my fingers do the walking first.  That proves much easier than I thought - the Connecticut Department of Agriculture has a complete listing by county of all meat producers in Connecticut.  Great! - the first site I land on produces heritage turkeys and yes, I can buy them directly from the farm.   Okay, well, I can chase one of those down on the side of the road on my way home from Skylar's Tae Kwon Do class.  Not that I want to - but yes, turkey definitely seems to be local and that certainly takes care of next Thanksgiving!  I find veal, lamb, Cornish rock chickens, pork, natural pasture raised dry aged beef, sausage - and even blue eggs.  Blue eggs?  Grabbing the keys - I gotta find out more about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment