Banner

Banner

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

There's an app for that!

Making a plan has never been my problem - sticking to it? - well now there's the rub a dub dub.  I spent most of yesterday surveying, measuring, clearing out old vines, leaves and plant matter from last year's garden.  Taking before pictures, comparing with Aldo's clean, trim, thriving colony of plant life and plotting a tract for my garden's expansion made all the more easier by Garden Minder - a new mobile app by Gardener's Supply that helps you grow a better garden and learn as you go.  Now I can take my garden with me wherever I go, get alerts, reminders and how to's.  All those questions I can't ask Grandma Emily or Nana anymore? -- answered!!   I laid out a diagram of what plants will go where and created an action plan for accomplishment.  What I forgot about was last night's dinner.  By the time the school bus rolled up depositing my 8 year old jumping bean into my arms I had done a week's worth of planning - and not a minute of execution.  Too late to try the farm stands again - whatever they had this morning will be gone now.  Too tired to battle the grocery - especially with the bundle of energy now circling my house on her go-kart.  I'm just back from a long weekend away so there are no fresh veggies in the house, no defrosting meat on the counter.  With a 5:00 doctor's appointment, arranging for pick up of the cranky car they towed away earlier, and having to meet my husband's train at 6:30 all looming before me, there's no time to make a slow food dinner that's been sourced less than 50 miles from my house.  Am I really back at square one?  I realize I need an everyday action plan for daily meals each week as well as a list of go-to meals fitting my requirements that can be rounded up in a pinch.  This time and attention to the quality of our meals is taking over my days.  There are other things to be done - cleaning, teaching, mothering, and oh yeah - my job.  Spring is here so that means much more outdoor work that needs to be done - how do I make it all mesh?  I figure the rest of today is about creating the diagram and action plans for everyday just I like I did for the garden which won't be giving me any returns for awhile yet.  I'll post all those tomorrow - I may not be curing cancer, but you know what?  Maybe in the long run..... I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment