Banner

Banner

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where's the food?



So I'm already lost. I hit the road with the best of intentions and the best of moods in search of early spring bounty. But all I could find was a bag of fresh mixed greens and some farm fresh eggs. Not much of a meal if you ask me. Where are the last of the root vegetables? Maybe some early peas - something...anything, I've got a family to feed! I even found myself peering over the fence of Aldo's garden to see what he might have brewing -- nuthin'. I'm beginning to understand why my grandmother canned and preserved everything in sight summer and fall - so people had something to eat in early spring. Okay - so I should be able to find some local meat - chicken, pork, oh wait - fish! Yes, that must be the answer, a nice spring green salad with grilled fish and hard boiled egg. Now I see a meal starting to form. A visit to the fish market revealed some New England Cod and cherrystone clams. I'll take it! I'm realizing I just need to think differently and change my ideas of what makes a balanced diet. Nature provides what you need for your body, your climate, your season. Funny, I didn't even consider trying to look for local grain - I'm not sure we even grow that stuff here in Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment